10 Reasons to Hire a Newborn Photographer
So, you’re expecting a new arrival soon! Congratulations! I’m sure that by now you are trying to learn everything you can about how that little baby in your belly is developing, shopping for your favorite outfits, decor, and gear, and receiving tons of advice. No doubt this is THE most exciting time for you and your family, and a period of your life you will want to remember in detail. One way to do that is by hiring a newborn photographer. If professional newborn photos are an item on your list, but you are unsure about whether or not to make the investment, let me give you 10 reasons why you should hire a professional to capture this precious time in your lives.
1. Newborns grow so quickly! It’s a cliché to tell moms: enjoy because they grow so fast, but it is also the most cruel truth. It’s amazing how much they change in just the first few weeks of life. By hiring a newborn photographer, you can document how small they were at this exact moment in time so you can look back on these photos years from now and remember just how tiny they once were.
2. A newborn photographer will have the experience and expertise to safely handle and position your baby in order to get the best photos possible. Letting someone handling your baby is a big trust testament. You want to make sure the person holding and posing your infant is not only comfortable doing so, but also knows baby physiology, and is trained in safety and newborn first aid. A good photographer will have the necessary knowledge so you can feel comfortable.
3. Speaking of comfort, a professional photographer will have all the posing tools, specialty props, and equipment needed to make sure your baby is safe and comfortable during the photo session. This includes things like stretchy wraps, posing bean bag, sound machines, temperature control, and more. In my San Diego photography studio, I provide an all inclusive experience, so you don’t worry about one thing!
4. Newborns have their own unique needs. A newborn photographer will be respectful of little one’s schedule, will have experience soothing a newborn, and will know how to work with your baby’s natural cues, not against them.
5. Trying to take your own newborn photos with an iPhone or point-and-shoot camera simply won’t give you the same quality images. Although I recommend to every mom to keep their cellphone camera close by and ready to document all the cute everyday moments, I also recommend that you invest in a professional for special milestones (newborn, 6 months and one year – at least!). These are the pictures you will want to have around your house in a beautiful wall art, and create the heirloom album that will last generations.
6. A good photographer will be able to capture not only images of your baby, but also important details like their little hands and feet, dimples, hair whorls, etc. These are the things you’ll want to remember years down the road when they’re all grown up! And don’t be mistaken, mama, as much as we want our memory to not trick us, it will.
7. Hiring a professional gives you peace of mind knowing that someone else is taking care of everything so that you can sit back, relax, and enjoy this special time with your new baby. I am sure that with all the decisions you are making regarding your birth, baby’s name, nursery decor, etc, giving your photographer the responsibility of styling your newborn session, shopping, and picking all the props and outfits needed sounds wonderful, doesn’t it?
8. Don’t forget that newborn photoshoots are also a great opportunity to get some beautiful family photos. There is so much love and emotion with the arrival of your new family member that you will want a snapshot of it. My favorite images from all newborn sessions are the ones with mom and dad holding the baby in their arms. I can feel the love in those images and I am sure your child will to when they look back on those pictures.
9. Working with a professional newborn photographer will not only give you access to high quality images, but high quality products. The reason you want to document these special time is to be able to keep it forever. Photographers have access to high quality wall art, prints, and albums that will last generations to come.
10. Many photographers, including myself, offer ‘watch me grow’ packages which include multiple sessions over your baby’s first year of life (including milestone sessions at 6 months, 9 months, one year). This is such a fun way to document your child’s growth and see how much they change from month-to-month! And how amazing it is to have it all documented in a single album to keep it forever?
I hope this has given you some food for thought if you’re on the fence about whether or not to hire a professional newborn Photographer! Newborns grow so quickly and change so much in just a few short weeks – before you know it they’ll be sitting up on their own, crawling around the house, taking their first steps, and saying their first words ! Capturing these precious moments while they’re still tiny is something you’ll never regret.
If you’re interested in booking a newborn session with me, or would like more information, please email me at email@example.com or submit an inquiry on my contact page. I would be happy to answer any questions you have!